Garage doors demand a great deal of maintenance. Both garage door installation and garage door repair require one to be disciplined and committed and they are best done by a professional. It is an expensive investment that requires to be safeguarded. It is essential to distinguish what requires professional maintenance and what you can fix yourself.
While aluminum and steel garage doors may require less maintenance as compared to wooden or fiberglass doors, they can dent much more easily. In case you’ve bumped into your garage with your car or if it has been damaged by your kids playing ballgames, it will be better to purchase a completely new door. However, remember, replacement isn’t your only option. Dents are easy to get rid of with nothing more than drastic temperature change.
If the dent in your garage door isn’t very serious, you could try this DIY repair at home.
Things you will need
Almost all the tools you will use can be found easily at home or in the nearest store.
- Dish-washing soap
- Aluminum foil
- Standard lighter
- Compressed air canister
Steps to Fix a Dented Garage Door
- Fill the bucket with water. Add 1 teaspoon of dish-washing soap. Allow the sponge to soak the water and wipe it over the surface of the dent. Rinse the dent with clean water, and wait until it is dried.
- Cut off a portion of the aluminum foil and lay it flat over the dent. Hold one side to keep it securely in place.
- Light the lighter and move the flame over the foil for at least 60 seconds. For even heat coverage, ensure you move at a steady speed. Remove the aluminum foil.
- Hold the air canister upside down over the dent. Spray air onto the dent for a minimum 30 seconds. Ensure to keep the can upside down for the entire process. Doing this will release carbon dioxide, the main ingredient.
- Wait for about two minutes to allow the dented area to pop back into place.
- Clean the spot where your dent was earlier using a sponge and clean water.
- Repeat the whole process if the dent does not pop back into place. It takes extra care to treat large dents.
- In case you can’t find a standard lighter or aluminum foil, make use of a hair dryer to heat the surface of the dent.
- Choose a mild and sunny weather to do the repair. It’s difficult to get the aluminum foil to heat up efficiently on windy and rainy days.
- Wear flame gloves to protect your hands.
Take Help of a Professional at Garage Doors Atlanta
If you need to install new garage doors at Atlanta or your garage doors needs fixing, you can hire our experienced professionals at Garage Doors Atlanta. We will be there with all the tools required for fixing your garage door problems efficiently. We also offer you with varied doors to choose from. Call us at (678) 490 – 8899